Friday, March 5, 2010

Hugs From Second Graders

Yesterday I stood by Elle as she lined up for her kindergarten class. The First and Second graders were also lining up to go inside from their lunch recess. A group of Jared's classmates, about five of them, came over to me. One little boy said, "I was so sad when Jared died." It was sweet. For a split second we all sort of just smiled and looked at each other. And then I said, "Well, I need a hug from all of you because I don't have a second grader to hug." They all crowded in and we had a little group hug. I told them I was having a baby boy on Jared's birthday. They had big smiles and off they went to their class.

It was a bittersweet moment. I was so happy they came up to me and spoke of Jared, I loved it. Of course it hurt a bit, but it also helped my heart so much. I'm so glad I got some hugs from some second graders.

10 comments:

  1. Jaime:

    We love you.

    Dave, Jenn & Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! You are AMAZING! What a perfect response. I'm sure Jared's glad you got some hugs from some second graders too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing that story, I cried! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Hard. Beautiful. Joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just imagine you saying that to those little boys and gathering them up in your arms. You are a good mother Jaime. And a good example to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it helps Ty when you ask him for a hug. You are such a cute Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are awesome and we are so proud of you. What a special example you are to all of us and you are still as sweet and tender as you always have been. Thank heaven for a sister who prayed and prayed you into our family. How special you made those little boys feel and what a neat response as they feel such a void as well. We all miss our Jared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was drawn to the blog tonight and what a sweet moment to share with you. I have had others tell me how much it means to have people say the name of their loved ones who have passed. Jaime, you radiate! Such a tender moment you shared with those cute young boys. I, too, could cry just invisioning that sweet exchange. I agree--you are a tender, loving, caring mom and an incredible woman of faith. I love you! I am glad you were prayed into your family because I wanted you in ours from when I first met you. Like your mom, I just get lonesome for Jared.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an amazing woman, and what a sweet thing! I've been thinking about you a TON! Hope the pregnancy is going well!!! We miss you guys, and your cute fam!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy to discover the sweet memories you are recording about Jared. I loved the wrestling memory and the digging of holes (both boy favorites at our house as well). I was very touched by this experience at the school and am just so impressed by your love and thoughtfulness shown through your hugs to those boys. You are an amazing woman! We still think and talk about Jared often in our home. We miss him and are continually strengthened by his memory and our experiences with your family over the past year. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete