Friday, February 12, 2010

Couch Log

Since Jared's passing we have been trying to preserve as many memories of him as we can. We have decided that each week we will have a Jared memory where one member of the family will have to give one memory of Jared. This has been a fun experience. Sometimes we end up laughing about a funny memory and at other times we end up very emotional. Last night we ended up reenacting a memory that Jaime recalled.

When Jared was healthy and his playful normal self he loved to wrestle. There was one game we would play in particular that Jared and Gabrielle loved. The main objective of the game was to push dad off of the couch. I would try to position myself in a way that would eliminate any leverage they could get on me to push or pull me off of the couch. They would stand on me and push with their legs, they would pull my body from behind, but normally to no avail until they teamed up with a more thought out plan. Without fail they would succeed when Jared would take one of my buried feet and pull it off the couch my all powerful leverage was gone and Gabrielle would sit on me and push with her feet. Normally within seconds they were laughing to no end as they successfully threw me off the couch. I would then jump back on in a different position to try and outsmart them.

Last night we laughed as Jaime recalled these experiences. How fun it is to see the kids recall such simple, but exciting memories of their older brother. What a great mother Jaime is to remember such sweet and tender things. Well, the "couch log" legend lives on as Gabrielle and Bradley finally succeeded in teaming up against me last night to throw me off the couch.

4 comments:

  1. I love this! What a wonderful way to honor Jared by continuing the things he loved most.

    You are always in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great game! You and Jaime are awesome parents! We sure love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are such awesome parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Vance Family,

    My name is Sara Rusnak and you have no idea who I am but I must share this with you. First let me tell you how inspirational you guys are. My husband (Kyle) was first diagnosed with Clival Chordoma when he was 15. He had surgery and radiation and went 10 years without having any symptoms. This past summer we went to Pittsburgh and Dr. Gardner performed 4 surgeries on Kyle as to remove part of the tumor that has grown back. After surgery he went on to receive Proton radiation in Bloomington, IN and just finished in Jan 2010. After having severe neck pain we went to the hospital and he had an MRI done which has showed that his tumor has metastasized down his spine. I was searching page by page on the Chordoma Foundation site trying to see what others have tried and reading all the stories. When I came across Jared's picture I noticed that he looked familiar.... I mean who could forget such a handsome young guy with blue eyes and blond hair. I went to his blog (you guys have done an amazing job with that by the way!) and I saw pictures of you guys and realized that my husband and I were in the waiting room at UPMC on one of your visits. I remember seeing you guys and seeing Jared with the little stack of gauze on his neck. And I remember Jami's hair b/c I liked her hair cut. I haven't been able to get you guys off of my mind and have spent the last few days reading your blog. Although there is quite an age difference in my husband and Jared, they have experienced many of the same things and I thank you for taking the time to post such detailed blogs. The medical information has been insightful but the love and candidness that is put into each post and the emotional roller coaster you and your family have been through has been so inspirational and lets others of us out there know that we are not alone. You guys will be in our thoughts and prayers as I know your little super hero is looking down and smiling. Love and prayers, Sara Rusnak

    ReplyDelete