Friday, February 5, 2010

Our Journey to the Center of the Earth

Jared loved the movie “Journey to the Center of the Earth”. We watched that show many times with him. I remember watching it in the theaters in 3-D and throwing my glasses off my head when something came flying at me. We purchased the dvd when it came out. We watched it again and again. This movie invoked a lot of questions from Jared. I can't tell you how many times we discussed the earth's layers and other scientific topics that I have no knowledge of, but I think I am close at least 25% of the time. The fascination with the center of the earth resulted in proving our hypothesis, or disproving it, however you would like to put it. We experimented, to his satisfaction, by escaping to my in-law’s back yard and made an attempt at reaching it ourselves. With shovel in hand and a big smile on Jared's face we dug side by side until we reached a point where we “thought” we were close. The hole was big enough for Jared and I to stand in together and was about 3-4 feet deep. We never did reach the center, but the dirt did became harder and harder to remove. Despite not reaching the center Jared loved every minute of it. The hole still remains in my in-laws back yard, much to their dismay, but it stands as a reminder of Jared's curiosity and determination.

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome science project. I'm going to have to rent that movie now! Thanks for writing again, it is good.

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. I love the continued reminder of Jared's beautiful example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am lori archibald's sister. i am glad to see that you are sharing some more memories here. it touches my heart. you have continually been in our thoughts these last months. and still...in our prayers. our kids' prayers changed from 'bless jared and his family' to 'bless jared's family'. because we know that jared is just fine. sending love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooks and I just got on the site to watch Jared's video again and we are glad to see new posts. We love Jared! We still pray for him each night because we know he lives on and is doing a great work. We also pray for the rest of the Vance family and are excited to see you all soon.

    Dave, Brooks and Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. will you please send me an email to jrbluefish@juno.com with jared vance in subject line so as i might be able to communicate how your story has touched me and my familys lives, thankyou jennifer

    ReplyDelete