Wednesday, June 10, 2009

50 %

Well today has started out with a little bit of a downer feel to it. This morning they came and scoped out Jared's vocal chords. This consisted of putting a little tube (yes another tube) through his nose to the back of his throat. They were able to see that the right side of his vocal chords were working but unfortunately, the left side were not.

They said not to get too discouraged. Often times they come back days after, and even weeks after surgery. What they are worried about now is if those same nerves are affecting his swallowing abilities. We have been suctioning Jared's mouth less and less, but it's still a concern. They will wait until Friday to do what they call a "cookie swallow test" which basically consists of the same thing that they did today but they will actually watch Jared eat. This allows them to see where the food goes so that they can make sure everything is functioning properly so that there is no risk of food going into the lungs causing infection (aspiration).

Starting last night they have been feeding him small amounts food in his feeding tube. He still complains of being hungry, I guess that is why this exam today was such a downer because Jared still is not allowed to eat. Hopefully after Friday everything will go well.

It looks as if we will be moved out of the ICU within the next day or two. We will be talking to one of the surgeons either this afternoon or in the morning about the next step: the proton beam radiation.

We're hopeful that things will go well, they have thus far and we do feel so blessed, but it still was hard to hear the news this morning of his vocal chords and then of course, my mind wanders as to his swallowing abilities, etc. But we shall see . . . and keep our hope and faith.

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely, our faith is so important because the scriptures tell us that faith is the key for getting what we need and hope for. It can move mountains.And most of all it is the basis of the atonement which is so important for us to use and act on each and every day. I know the Lord is aware of all of these concerns and we excercise that faith every minute of the day. Much love, Grandma Beck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweet Jared and family are in our prayers. What a strong kid. He is so lucky to have such strong parents with him every step of the way. Hang in there, and best wishes! Love ya, Sara Burris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jaime, I can so relate to how your mind starts to wonder and wander about the "what ifs." I think that has been one the biggest lessons for me to learn during the last two years: to be steadfast and immovable instead of planning and preparing for the what ifs. Hang in there. We love you and are so inspired by your faith and how well you are doing. Loves and hugs!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a trooper. Thinking of you guys several times a day. Sending prayers your way.
    Hang in there.
    Kenney's

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. What difficult news you've been dealt. After I'd read your entry, I was pondering and found my heart drawn up into prayer for you all. I want so much for this burden to be lifted.

    As I was pondering, I had a scripture come to my mind. This is a scripture that has been a source of comfort for me many times, so I thought I'd share it. I know you're very familiar with it, too. Hopefully it may help you in some way now.

    John 14:27
    "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

    I love you and I know that you are loved by multitudes of people. Our prayers always include you, and I hope that they will especially sustain and uplift you during these difficult times. We'll continue to pray for specific miracles and better news for Friday!

    With all my heart,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! How very much we love you all and pray for the Lord to sustain you and lift you when you are down. I love the scripture "And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." D&C 84:88

    As we let our minds contemplate and do what we as humans do so well we must remember our Father in Heaven knows all. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

    In the Temple this morning, the prayer that was offered was more specific than I have really noticed before. I felt that prayers were being offered just for Jared and both of you. You have incredible strength and spiritual support coming your way. We must keep true to what we believe and know to be right. I love those words "firm, strong, immovable". Our love, hearts, and prayers are constant for you all! LovexoxGrandma/Mom Vance

    ReplyDelete