Monday, June 8, 2009

Suction, Suction, Suction

I really don't know if I need to post much more than the title for an update. After removing the breathing tube it has really just been a day of sucking out Jared's whole body. For all who have not had the experience that Jared is going through I will elaborate a bit.

We have all had that experience at the dentist when they stick that vacuum tube in our throats and are cleaning out all the residues from a cleaning or filling. I remember one dentist in particular who would always have me close my mouth around the tube. I always seriously underestimated the power of the suction tube. Now imagine that feeling, but now slide it a little bit further down the throat past the "gagging ball" and having someone about a foot from your face telling you to cough and relax all at the same time. To make it better, prior to sucking him out they have to gorilla pound his chest. For all you nurses out there you may know what I am talking about. They take this miniature rubber cup and start banging his chest. I must confess that when Jaime and I saw this the first time we couldn't believe our eyes and actually started laughing. He just sat there watching a movie while the nurse played Tarzan on his chest. As the day lingered on and the pounding, sucking and prodding continued, Jared's patience with the whole ordeal wore thin. Needless, to say it has been a long day for this kid.

The neurosurgeons discussed the MRI a bit with us today and confirmed what the surgeons initially told us after surgery. There is a small (less than a centimeter square) portion of the tumor left near the left bundle of nerves. They did not feel that a complete removal of the tumor would be worth removing all of those nerves. I personally and glad and will hope that the proton beam radiation will finish the job without inflicting too much damage. I must confess I do not understand a whole lot about the radiation, but I hope to in the near future. The surgeons today were optimistic about the radiation taking care of what they needed it to. Once we get Jared up and going here we will soon be into the next phase of this journey.

Jared is good and looks much more like our boy. The day shift nurse whipped him into shape and was really fantastic at all she did today. We have had great care here, that's for sure. They completely took him off oxygen and he is doing well. He no longer snores like a mad dog and that is always a bonus. All in all it has really been a great day, but a long one for Jared.

All this superhero stuff is really going to his head. I walked up to him and told him that everyone is calling him a superhero and asked him if he really was one. He replied simply with a nod in the affirmative. I love this kid!

7 comments:

  1. I have never underestimated the power of a good suction!! Some people are really obnoxious about it at the dentist and need it like every five seconds while I clean their teeth and that gets ANNOYING. At least I can relate on some small level!! Happy to hear about the progress. We love you Jared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize that opposition is necessary for growth. But what I’ve found inspiring is how much the rest of us have grown by virtue of the strength your remarkable little family has shown through this, and because of your generosity in sharing your experience.

    Your family has demonstrated such astounding strength and faith, at a time when those two are hardest to come by. You’ve shown a spiritual resiliency that comes only through a strong family unit founded on eternal principles and bound by eternal covenants.

    I’ve wanted to thank you so often, but whenever the time has come, I haven’t trusted my emotions, and so have kept silent. You’re a beacon of hope to those who face their own adversity, and I wanted you to realize the amazing impact you’re having on the lives of so many.

    We simply love your family. We pray for you constantly. In fact, it’s so cute to see our own little kids saying their prayers and asking Heavenly Father to bless Jared to get better. The few times they may forget because they’re in a hurry to get to bed, the others jump to remind them “YOU FORGOT JARED!”, prompting a quick, prayerful addendum.

    I’ve found it enlightening how close you can come to someone, just through persistent prayer. I can’t tell you how often I’ve been driving home, thinking about “my” little Jared, and tearing up because I’ve come to care for him so much.

    Please know that we are all anxious to help in any way possible, and you’d be blessing our lives by letting us do so. In the meantime, we’ll continue love and pray for Jared, our little super hero, and enjoy learning from you. You’re all heroes in my eyes.

    Rusty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all the wonderful information and pictures, Jared & Jaime (I'm new to the Blog but am thrilled to be here). I'm so glad things seem to be progressing so positively. Your attitudes astound me & Jared is a RoCk StAr! Thank you for strenghtening my faith. Know of our love & prayers.
    Jennie (Gardner) Savage

    ReplyDelete
  4. As we were reading through the Friend on Sunday a scripture stuck out to us and made us think of you. D&C 68:6 "Be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you" This is a great message for everyone. Your positive attitude and willingness to share this experience with us as been such a wonderful blessing to our family. Jaron loved to hear that Jared really is a superhero and we all loved getting to see a photo of him. Nicki loved the YouTube links!! Those are some of my favoirtes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sabina and Craig Winder and familyJune 9, 2009 at 3:53 PM

    We love you Jared and are so enjoying hearing about your progress. Hurray for getting the breathing tube out! We check your blog a couple of times a day because we are thinking about you so often. We were at your house last night and saw your soccer ball and are excited for you to be home soon to play with it. You are a brave boy who is giving us all greater appreciation for life and courage to face the tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Winders,

    I just have to comment quickly how timely that observation of the soccer ball was. I was just talking with Jared this afternoon about how excited I was to kick the ball around in the back and then to see this comment, it was too much to handle and I just broke out in tears. I cannot say it enough you are all too wonderful. We are so fully blessed it is unreal.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just say Amen to Rusty's comment? He said my thoughts so much better than I could. I'm the only "human" in my house, but so help me,even my CATS are praying for you, Jared, and we all know that Heavenly Father listens to all His creatures! Still praying always,
    Linda Graham (The lady with the crutches)

    ReplyDelete